Re: How to use postgresql-jdbc rpm with Sun JDK - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Murphy
Subject Re: How to use postgresql-jdbc rpm with Sun JDK
Date
List pgsql-general
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 09:57 -0400, Kevin Murphy wrote:
>
>> When yum installs the PGDG postgresql-jdbc-8.3.3 RPM on CentOS 5, it
>> appears to want to drag in GCJ dependencies, but I want to use a Sun
>> JDK.  The JDK is pre-installed by the Rocks V cluster distribution,
>> which is based on CentOS 5.
>>

> Upstream (I mean, Tom) is building -jdbc package with open source
> components for a long time, and I am following that, too. We were
> directly installing the binary jar files under /usr/share/java without
> compilation.
>
> So, you will need to install jar files I think:
>
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html#supported

Speaking as a near-ignoramus, would a simple RPM that wraps the binary
jar file make sense?  I'm not sure what dependencies it should have,
though: simply 'java'?  My issue is that a Rocks cluster likes to have
all software packaged as RPMs; compute nodes can be automatically built
from scratch when required simply by dumping RPMs in a certain directory
on the head node and adding the RPM name to an XML file.

I guess it can't be that hard for me to custom-build this sort of RPM,
although I've never built one before.

-Kevin Murphy