Re: spinlocks on HP-UX - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: spinlocks on HP-UX
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> config/c-compiler.m4 doesn't seem like the right place for the configure
> test. Would there be any harm in setting the lwarx hint always; what
> would happen on older ppc processors that don't support it?

More to the point, a configure test only proves whether the
build machine can deal with the flag, not whether the machine
the executables will ultimately run on knows what the flag means.
We cannot assume that the build and execution boxes are the same.
(In general, AC_TRY_RUN tests are best avoided because of this.)