Re: Linux: more cores = less concurrency. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Glyn Astill
Subject Re: Linux: more cores = less concurrency.
Date
List pgsql-performance
--- On Tue, 12/4/11, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> The issue I'm seeing is that 8 real cores
> outperform 16 real
> >> cores, which outperform 32 real cores under high
> concurrency.
> >
> > With every benchmark I've done of PostgreSQL, the
> "knee" in the
> > performance graph comes right around ((2 * cores) +
> > effective_spindle_count).  With the database fully
> cached (as I
> > believe you mentioned), effective_spindle_count is
> zero.  If you
> > don't use a connection pool to limit active
> transactions to the
> > number from that formula, performance drops off.  The
> more CPUs you
> > have, the sharper the drop after the knee.
>
> I was about to say something similar with some canned
> advice to use a
> connection pooler to control this.  However, OP
> scaling is more or
> less topping out at cores / 4...yikes!.  Here are my
> suspicions in
> rough order:
>
> 1. There is scaling problem in client/network/etc.
> Trivially
> disproved, convert the test to pgbench -f and post results
> 2. The test is in fact i/o bound. Scaling is going to be
> hardware/kernel determined.  Can we see
> iostat/vmstat/top snipped
> during test run?  Maybe no-op is burning you?

This is during my 80 clients test, this is a point at which the performance is well below that of the same machine
limitedto 8 cores.

http://www.privatepaste.com/dc131ff26e

> 3. Locking/concurrency issue in heavy_seat_function()
> (source for
> that?)  how much writing does it do?

No writing afaik - its a select with a few joins and subqueries - I'm pretty sure it's not writing out temp data
either,but all clients are after the same data in the test - maybe theres some locks there?

> Can we see some iobound and cpubound pgbench runs on both
> servers?

Of course, I'll post when I've gotten to that.