Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL) - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dawid Kuroczko
Subject Re: The naming question (Postgres vs PostgreSQL)
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 8/28/07, Robert Bernier <robert.bernier5@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> How about a vote?
>
> How many people feel we should adopt 'postgres' for the '9.0' reference documentation (let's leave the issue of the
tonsof work involved out of the debate for the moment)?

0 (abstain)

While I do think that 'Postgres' has advantages over 'PostgreSQL',
I don't think we should drop PostgreSQL.  Something which is
defacto already happening, as usually the default database is
'postgres', user is 'postgres' and so on.  At the same time I wouldn't
want package maintainers to change package name from 'postgresql'
to 'postgres' [again].  I wouldn't want Sun to need to update brochures
that they support Postgres (formerly known as PostgreSQL).

Personally I would like to use names 'PostgreSQL Relational Database
Managament System', short form: Postgres with PostgreSQL as an
acceptable, though deprecated, alternative.

   Regards,
     Dawid