Re: Alpha 1 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alpha 1 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> In any case, it is not the function of the alpha release notes to
>> discuss changes in earlier release branches.  The reason the commit
>> log points out the back-patch is to make it easier to extract the
>> information when we prepare release notes for the back-branch updates.

> Hmm, isn't it enough to use cvs2cl --follow <branch>?

Yeah, cvs will certainly tell you the same information, which is why
I frequently don't bother mentioning the point at all in commit
messages.  I think the most useful reason for mentioning the branch(es)
in a commit message is to explain why a particular patch goes back
so far and no farther.