Re: pg_hba.conf problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_hba.conf problem
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 06:10:08PM -0500, David Nedrow wrote:
>> Note that I've also tried the following straight for the original
>> pg_hba.conf file itself. No luck.

> Huh, did you cause the postmaster to reload the pg_hba.conf file after
> changing it?  You should send it SIGHUP (kill -HUP) or use pg_ctl reload.

He said he was using full postmaster restarts, which certainly ought to
do the trick.

The only other idea I can think of is he's editing the wrong pg_hba.conf
file; we've seen a couple of people make that mistake.  (David, the
right pg_hba.conf file is the one in the $PGDATA directory.  If you
don't see a postmaster.pid file in the same directory that appears and
disappears when you start and stop the postmaster, then you're in the
wrong directory ...)

            regards, tom lane