Re: many animals are running old clients - Mailing list buildfarm-members

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: many animals are running old clients
Date
List buildfarm-members

On 08/29/2018 10:35 AM, Dave Page wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 10:27 PM, Andrew Dunstan
> <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com
> <mailto:andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:
>

>     Animal owners,
>

>     The majority of buildfarm animals are not on the latest client
>     code release. Version 8 was released more than 3 months ago. There
>     are 26 animals on release 7 and 43 on even older releases, in one
>     case on a release going back 4 years. See below for the lists of
>     delinquents.
>

>     If this situation doesn't improve I'm going to have to reinstitute
>     the server filters which will reject very old clients.
>

>     I do my best to keep things backwards compatible, so that usually
>     an upgrade is simply a matter of unpacking the release and you're
>     done. I don't think asking people to do that once every few months
>     is terribly onerous. It's a five minute job.
>

> It's very far from a 5 minute job on ancient Solaris boxes :-(
>
> In my case, I've spent an hour or more trying to get Digest::SHA to
> install, and have failed miserably as it fails to compile for me with
> both Sun Studio and GCC. In the case of Sun Studio, CPAN seems
> insistent on trying to use the compiler in a way that makes it react
> like the crippled default compiler on the system, and it ignores
> variables like CC, and aliases and so-on, and insists on trying to run
> "cc" regardless. I'm going to have to give up for now.

eep!

Please let me know when issues like this arise.

Note BTW that we switched from Digest::SHA1 to Digest::SHA back in 2013,
because it's more commonly available, and I never heard of a problem
with that until now, AFAIR. Assuming you have Digest::SHA1 available, I
could probably save you all this grief by trying to use one and then the
other.

More generally, if people have difficulties I try to work out a way
around them. So please do sing out when that happens.

cheers

andrew