Re: Money casting too liberal? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Misa Simic
Subject Re: Money casting too liberal?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Gavan,

It is more about are problems described can be solved just by datatype
at all...

Just SUM values in GL transactions table would not make sense in any
case to accountants - regardless will result be big number or 0 (what
always will/should be in normal situations)...

Maybe better would be to explain proposal better... What datatype
should ensure from your point of view...

GL transactions table can be designed on many (different) ways.. In
this moment, to me is very hard to identify how "special" datatype
could help in that case...

P.S. to me is not first time to hear from people from finance
field... "would be good if there is a special type what can handle... "
- however always ends up that the rule depends on something stored
somewhere (in another table or column) about datatype cant be aware
of...(in my opinion)

Kind Regards,

Misa