Re: Vacuums on large busy databases - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dave Cramer
Subject Re: Vacuums on large busy databases
Date
List pgsql-performance
Francisco
On 14-Sep-06, at 4:30 PM, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> Dave Cramer writes:
>
>>> What is a reasonable number?
>>> I estimate I have at least 1 to 2 GB free of memory.
>> You are using 6G of memory for something else ?
>
> Right now adding up from ps the memory I have about 2GB.
> Have an occassional program which uses up to 2GB.
>
> Then I want to give some breathing room for when we have more
> connections so that work_mem doesn't make the macihne hit swap.
> At 32MB say worst case scenario I may have 50 operations using
> those 32MB, that's about 1.5GB.
>
> 2+2+1.5 = 5.5
> So I believe I have free about 2.5GB
>> effective cache should be set to 75% of free memory
>
> So I will increase to 1.5GB then.
personally, I'd set this to about 6G. This doesn't actually consume
memory it is just a setting to tell postgresql how much memory is
being used for cache and kernel buffers

> I may have more memory, but this is likely a safe value.
>
> Thanks for the feedback.. Didn't even know about this setting.
regarding shared buffers I'd make this much bigger, like 2GB or more

dave