Re: High CPU Load - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jérôme BENOIS
Subject Re: High CPU Load
List pgsql-performance
Hi Guillaume,

Le jeudi 14 septembre 2006 à 23:22 +0200, Guillaume Smet a écrit :
> Jérôme,
>
> Perhaps it's a stupid question but are your queries slower than
> before? You didn't tell it.
No, it's not stupid question !
Yes queries speed but when the load average exceeds 40 all queries are slower than before.

> IMHO, it's not a problem to have a high load if you have a lot of
> users and your queries are fast (and with 8.1, they should be far
> faster than before).
Yes i have a lot of users ;-)

> To take a real example, we had a problem with a quad xeon running
> postgres 7.4 and even when there were a lot of queries, the load was
> always lower than 4 and suddenly the queries were really slow and the
> database was completely unusable.
> When we upgraded to 8.1, on very high load, we had a far higher cpu
> load but queries were far faster even with a high cpu load.

I agree but by moment DB Server is so slow.

> Considering your top output, I suspect you use HT and you should
> really remove it if it's the case.

what's means "HT" please ?

> --
> Guillaume

If you want, my JabberId : jerome.benois AT gmail.com

--
Jérôme,

p in 'sioneb@gnireenigne-aigra.rf'.split('@')])"

Attachment