Re: Running several postmaster using same database in parallel - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Running several postmaster using same database in parallel
Date
List pgsql-general
Steffen Schmidt <Steffen.Schmidt@EMBL-Heidelberg.de> writes:
> I'am running several postmaster on different machines, accessing the
> same database in parallel. Is this a good idea? Do the postmaster lock
> each other or do they work independent?

You mean they are all sharing the same data files, using NFS or some
such?  That is a horribly, horribly *bad* idea; I'm surprised you
have not already experienced catastrophic data corruption.  Stop doing
it *at once*, or expect to suffer the consequences :-(

Performance over an NFS mount would be so awful that I don't really
see the point anyway.  Forget the extra postmasters, and just run
one on the machine where the files actually are.

(BTW, what version are you running?  I thought we had an interlock
to check for this sort of silliness --- although perhaps it would
fail to notice a postmaster that wasn't on the same machine ...)

            regards, tom lane