Re: DBD::PgSPI 0.02 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DBD::PgSPI 0.02
Date
List pgsql-hackers
alex@pilosoft.com writes:
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>> . how to turn it on for trusted plperl
>> [ snip ]

> Errr my bad. I keep confusing trusted/untrusted. It does not allow it, nor
> should it.

> The purpose of PgSPI is to write 'middleware' solutions in perl - the idea
> is that you can take a piece of existing client-side code and make a
> server-side stored procedure out of it in a minute without any changes to
> the code.

Sure.  But you don't run your middleware as root (I hope ;-)) and you
shouldn't run it in untrusted server-side languages either.  I agree
with Andrew that it's important to figure out how to make DBI usable
in trusted plperl.  Obviously this isn't happening in time for 8.0,
but it deserves a place on the TODO list.