Re: Backend Stats Enhancement Request - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Miller
Subject Re: Backend Stats Enhancement Request
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> That's not where the problem is.  The people who will be left holding
> the short end of the stick are the ones who can't raise their SHMMAX
> setting past a couple of megabytes.
>
> It might be feasible to make pg_stat_activity's max string length
> a postmaster-start-time configuration option.

I am fine with a postmaster-start-time configuration option. It is not as flexible as I would like, but would serve the
immediateneed and keep me from having to

patch every release of Postgres we install on boxes.

The load on our production servers really prohibits any kind of processing of the log files locally. We have tried
usingseveral log shipping methods to process the

logs on a machine with fewer running processes. These large queries are generated by a third party tool that we have
verylimited control over. Some of the queries

captured are as large 16K. The queries are poorly written/generated.

David Miller
River Systems, Inc.