Re: Vacuum full considered useful ;) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Vacuum full considered useful ;)
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Jul 14, 2007, at 11:50 AM, Patric de Waha wrote:

>      Yesterday I switched from 8.1 to 8.2. So I needed to dump the
> dbase
>    and reimport it. The dbase after 4 months of running without
> "vacuum full"
>    reached 60 gigabyte of diskspace. Now after a fresh import it
> only has 5 gigabyte!

After a couple more months running 8.2, compare your index sizes to
what they are now relative to the table sizes.  My bet is that if you
just reindexed some of your tables that would have cleared out much
of that bloat.

A short while back I reindexed some tables on my primary production
server and shaved off about 20Gb of disk space.  The table itself was
not bloated.  A dump/reload to another server resulted in a table of
roughly the same size.