Re: small but useful patches for text search - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: small but useful patches for text search
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mar 16, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> A saner policy would mandate that large patches land near the start of
> a development cycle, but I don't know how we get people to do that.

I think that if you can strictly time-limit the final CommitFest in
the same way that you time-limit the others, then whatever doesn't get
in that last one will be deferred to the first fest for the next major
version.

For those patches that *do* get in for the last CommitFest, they have
to be ready within a month of the last day of the CommitFest month. So
if the last fest for 8.4 was December, then any patches not ready by
Feb 1 would be put off.

This doesn't guarantee that people will get those big patches in
earlier, but it will surely encourage them to do so.

Just an idea.

Best,

David