Re: small but useful patches for text search - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: small but useful patches for text search
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>  I'm not sure that that's ever going to stop,
> because every time there are people cheerleading for said patches
> and insisting that the release will be so much better if we wait
> for them.

Well 8.3 was better for having HOT. But I still feel we got lucky with
that. I was pretty nervous we would find some major data corruption
bug after 8.3 was out. Pavan did great work and others in EDB put a
lot of work into testing it, but systematic testing -- as great as it
is --just isn't the same as having many other people using it day in
and day out and doing *unexpected* things with it.

The problem I see isn't (just) that things take longer to land than we
expect. The problem is that working on them during feature freeze a)
means they have to be perfect since there won't be any more chance to
refine them and b) means nobody else can work on new development while
they're being worked on.

--
greg