Re: Time to start the PR machine - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: Time to start the PR machine
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh wrote:
> Well, folks,  it's that time of year again!  That time when we spend a
few
> weeks arguing over phrasing in the PostgreSQL Release.
>
> So, here's starting it off (get your word-axes ready):
> (oh, and this is the same exact layout as previous releases.
innovative
> ideas for re-arranging the text are very welcome)
>
> Improved Multiprocessor (SMP) Performance:  the buffer manager for 8.1
has
> been enhanced to scale almost linearly with the number of processors,
> leading to significant performance gains on 8-way, 16-way and
multicore
> servers.

FWIW I am seeing a huge performance increase pretty much across the
board, both in my single proc development server and the dual proc
Opteron production servers.  More specifically, I'm seeing around 20%
reduction in run times for simple queries and an additional 20%
reduction in cpu load, for a staggering 20-40% improvement in server
load characteristics with nary a .conf setting change.

Merlin