Re: Tips for a system with _extremely_ slow IO?

From: Merlin Moncure
Subject: Re: Tips for a system with _extremely_ slow IO?
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Tips for a system with _extremely_ slow IO?  (Ron Mayer, )
 Re: Tips for a system with _extremely_ slow IO?  (Steve Atkins, )
 Re: Tips for a system with _extremely_ slow IO?  (Ragnar Hafstað, )
 Re: Tips for a system with _extremely_ slow IO?  ("Merlin Moncure", )

> > A demo I've set up for sales seems to be spending much of it's time in
> > disk wait states.
> >

> > The particular system I'm working with is:
> >     Ext3 on Debian inside Microsoft VirtualPC on NTFS
> >     on WindowsXP on laptops of our sales team.
>
> As this is only for demo purposes, you might consider turning fsync off,
> although I have no idea if it would have any effect on your setup.

Try removing VirtualPC from the equation.  You can run the win32 native port or dual boot your laptop for example.

Merlin