Re: Tips for a system with _extremely_ slow IO?

From: Ragnar Hafstað
Subject: Re: Tips for a system with _extremely_ slow IO?
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Tips for a system with _extremely_ slow IO?  (Ron Mayer, )
 Re: Tips for a system with _extremely_ slow IO?  (Steve Atkins, )
 Re: Tips for a system with _extremely_ slow IO?  (Ragnar Hafstað, )
 Re: Tips for a system with _extremely_ slow IO?  ("Merlin Moncure", )

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 23:51 -0800, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Any advice for settings for extremely IO constrained systems?
>
> A demo I've set up for sales seems to be spending much of it's time in
> disk wait states.
>

> The particular system I'm working with is:
>     Ext3 on Debian inside Microsoft VirtualPC on NTFS
>     on WindowsXP on laptops of our sales team.

As this is only for demo purposes, you might consider turning fsync off,
although I have no idea if it would have any effect on your setup.

gnari