Re: TODO Request - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rocco Altier
Subject Re: TODO Request
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> From: pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org
> [mailto:pgsql-hackers-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Hannu Krosing
>
> Ühel kenal päeval, T, 2006-08-29 kell 22:12, kirjutas Joshua D. Drake:
> >
> > This would be something like:
> >
> > create table foo () partition by ...
>
> from the referenced MySQL manual entry
>
> CREATE TABLE members (
>     joined DATE NOT NULL
> )
> PARTITION BY KEY(joined)
> PARTITIONS 6;
>
> Do you have any idea how this should work ?
>
> What date range should go into which partition ?

Since we don't have any knowledge about the date ranges in question, and the fact that they could change over time, I
thinkthe only stable way to handle this scenario would be to use a hash function which had 6 buckets (something like
'date% 6' could work).

I do see an issue, if someone wanted to change the number of partitions in use, since it would have to rehash the
table,and move data around.

I don't see any other way to handle this, but I might not be thinking hard enough.
-rocco