Re: alter table tablename add column - breaks pl/pgsql function returns tablename - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit kapila
Subject Re: alter table tablename add column - breaks pl/pgsql function returns tablename
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:50 PM Palle Girgensohn  wrote:

Hi!

> This is an old problem, referred to in bug #4907:

>ALTER TABLE test ADD COLUMN foo INTEGER;
> SELECT * FROM test_func();
> - -- ERROR:  wrong record type supplied in RETURN NEXT

> You have to run create or replace again to fix it when changing the
> schema. How come it fails? Is the return type "hardcoded" when the
> function is created?  I think it is because compiled body of function is created with that type of table. You will
notsee this problem if you reconnect or select from another new session.
> Is this very hard to fix?
  Currently the compiled body is not discarded on DDL's, so I believe it is not a bug as per current implementation.
Howeverit can be thought of as a new feature.

> IS there a suggested  work-around?   Considering DDL's are used less often, you can see how feasible it is for you
thatafter a DDL, you reconnect sessions which use functions.   I know this is not good workaround, but I am sorry
nothingelse comes to my mind for now.
   Anybody else can think of any other better workarounds for this problem?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.