Re: What's special about 1916-10-01 02:25:20? Odd jump in internal timestamptz representation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: What's special about 1916-10-01 02:25:20? Odd jump in internal timestamptz representation
Date
List pgsql-general
> >> Magnus, did you have a specific reason for choosing
> Europe/Dublin, or
> >> was it just alphabetically first?  Europe/London looks at least
> >> marginally closer to what one would think "GMT" means:
>
> > Does it have to be a specific city? I'd rather it just chose GMT.
>
> The fact that there is an entry for "GMT Daylight Time" means that
> Windows' idea of this time zone is not pure GMT.  Or is the
> translation table entry a complete work of fiction?

No, it's a work of a simplistic perlscript IIRC. It simply looked for
the first match it could find, based on the list found in the registry
(the whole concept is a bit of an ugly hack, but it's the best we could
come up with). If there is a more fitting timezone for it, it should be
changed.

//Magnus