Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website. - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website.
Date
List pgsql-www
> > 3) How does bric handle the logins? Right now there is one
> login for
> > the /admin/ stuff, but it's not exactly flexible to maintain the
> > passwords there. And we need some kind of "unified login system"
> > between the different parts IMHO - so you don't need a separate
> > account to edit/submit doc comments from editing techdocs pages.
>
> I don't believe this is necessary, and am currently
> envisaging Bricolage as being an almost totally stand-alone
> system, integrated with the main site purely via CVS and a
> suitable script to add/remove/update files every few minutes or so.
>
> The downside of that is that there are 2 authoring
> interfaces, one for the main part of the site, and one for
> the PGDN or whatever it gets called. I do not think this is
> an issue though, as the whole point of using Bricolage is to
> allow people other than use to do the work. At worst it will
> mean that maybe 5 or 6 of us might use both interfaces.

I was envisioning us using logins to post comments (to verify emails
etc) on docs etc in the future. To get rid of the spam for one thing,
and to be able to better deal with feedback etc.
In that case, we are talking way more than 5 or 6 people (hopefully).

> - Changes/upgrades to Bric or organisational issues for the
> PGDN contributors needn't concern us in any way, as long as
> the same output is produced in the same place.

I don't beleive that will ever hold up in reality. In theory that is the
way, but in practice I highly doubt it will be isolated.

> > And I also think peopel are vastly *underestimating* the
> work needed
> > to get a "stock CMS" to "play nice" with what we already have.
>
> Not necessarily IMHO, if we take the approach I suggest above.

Then we clearly disagree on that ;-) At least we agree on most of it :-)

//Magnus