Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website. - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website.
Date
List pgsql-www
> > There
> > are quite a
> > number of tools that allow people to use WYSWYG editors in content
> > management, WebDAV using OpenOffice.org, etc.   If you
> > require formatted HTML
> > and CVS uploads, you won't get any contributions.
>
> We don't want end users directly adding content anyway. At
> the moment they simply mail it to us and one of us
> (invariably Robert) adds it to techdocs.
>
> Aside from the editorial issues of allowing users to submit
> stuff directly (which could be handled as we do the doc
> comments I guess), we also need to ensure that whatever is
> added is compliant XHTML 1.0 Strict. That might be difficult
> if we allow any old webdav tool to connect and edit data.

I for one would like to see anybody being able to add content, but then
have it approved before it goes on the site. Same way we handle
news/events/services/doc-comments today. The bar for the contributor has
to be lowered as absolutely far as possible.

But I agree not to allow "any webdav tool" to do it. We should provide
something like HTMLArea (anything like it will do, just an example!) for
the people who contribute. (Or they can still mail, of course)

(BTW, XHTML 1.0 Strict is pretty easy to validate. It's a hell of a lot
easier to validate than non-X-versions of HTML. It's like 6-7 lines of
code in C# [yeah, yeah, we do PHP, but C# is where I've implemented such
validation before]. There should be tools around for PHP to that as
well, can't imagine there aren't)

//Magnus