Re: Old/New - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bob Pawley
Subject Re: Old/New
Date
List pgsql-general
Following is the format with which I have had great success using "New" in
After Insert triggers.

 Insert into p_id.devices (p_id_id, process_id, fluid_id, status,
process_graphics_id, device_description)
 select (p_id.processes.p_id_id), (p_id.processes.process_id),
(p_id.processes.fluid_id), ('Pump #1'), ('11'), ('Pump')
 from p_id.processes
 where new.pump1 = 'True';

However when the above is used on an After Update trigger on a table with
two rows, I get both rows inserted.

(For a while I thought it was a quirk in the actions of the interface, but
it happens even when I update pump1 using only PostgreSQL.

This is the reason that I have been avoiding Update triggers until now, so,
if anyone can help my understanding of what is happening I would appreciate
it.

Bob