Re: initdb - creating clusters - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: initdb - creating clusters
Date
List pgsql-docs
> On 12 Jul 2020, at 00:24, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> writes:
>>> On 11 Jul 2020, at 23:36, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> +  For example, there may be special scripts for creating a database
>>> +  cluster.  There almost certainly will be a mechanism for starting
>>> +  the server,
>
>> Aren't we really talking about "running the server as a service" and not just
>> starting it?  Perhaps thats hair-splitting territory?
>
> Yeah, but that terminology might itself be a bit platform-specific.

I guess thats a good point.

> I considered giving specific examples, like systemd unit files,
> but was afraid that that'd just confuse people on other platforms.
> Not sure what the best way to approach this is.

Hmm, since the section is aimed at reducing confusion for inexperienced users I
agree that adding more detail might be detrimental to the point.

Re-reading it with bug-reports etc in mind, I think the only thing that I
propose would be to expand the terminology for what a package is to be
"pre-packaged or vendor-supplied".

cheers ./daniel