Re: Configuration Issue ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Lonsdale
Subject Re: Configuration Issue ?
Date
Re: Configuration Issue ?  ("Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net>)
List pgsql-performance

Thanks guys, I think we'll certainly look to get the app certified with
7.4 and 8.x but that may take a little while.   In the interim, Im
thinking of making the following changes then:-

Change Shared_buffers from 393216 to 80,000 ( ~15% of 4GB of RAM.
Server is 8GB but I want to leave space for App as well )

Set my effective_cache_size to 125,000 ( ~25% of 4GB of RAM )

Set my sort_mem to 8192

Do those numbers look a bit better?   Will probably see if we can make
these changes asap as the server is struggling a bit now, which doesn't
really make sense given how much memory is in it.

Really appreciate your help and fast turnaround on this

Mark