Re: configure and DocBook XML - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: configure and DocBook XML
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-11-26 17:48, Tom Lane wrote:
> =?utf-8?Q?Paul_F=C3=B6rster?= <paul.foerster@gmail.com> writes:
>> On 26. Nov, 2020, at 17:21, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> There's a nearby thread in which I was suggesting that we should just
>>> not bother with this configure test [1].
>>> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/E2EE6B76-2D96-408A-B961-CAE47D1A86F0%40yesql.se
>
>> I haven't installed DocBook at all. So the check for DocBook naturally always fails. Could that be the reason?
>
> If you don't have the docbook stylesheets, but you do have xmllint,
> configure's probe will cause xmllint to try to download those
> stylesheets off the net.  For me, that always succeeds, but it
> takes two or three seconds.  I find it curious that it seems to be
> timing out for you.

Correction: xmllint is interested in the DocBook XML DTD, which is
downloadable from
<http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd>.  This is what
might be in a package named "docbook" or "docbook-xml".  xsltproc is
interested in the DocBook XSLT stylesheets, which are at
<http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/chunk.xsl>, or
locally in a package named something like "docbook-xsl".

AFAICT, configure only runs an xmllint test, so your download issues (at
that point) are likely related to the DTD, not the stylesheets.