Re: Rendering pi more nicely in PDF - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Alexander Lakhin
Subject Re: Rendering pi more nicely in PDF
Date
List pgsql-docs
From the symbolic unit of the department...

Hello Tom,
26.04.2020 22:13, Tom Lane wrote:
> In the department of nitpickery ...
>
> "π" renders poorly in our PDF docs: as shown in the attached
> screenshot, it doesn't line up on the baseline.  I realized that
> this is the same problem I'd run into recently with right-arrow,
> and it can be solved in the same way, namely we have to specify
> use of the symbol font explicitly.  So attached is a proposed
> patch to fix it.
>
> Use of a new processing-instruction might not be the most elegant
> way to do this ... anyone have a better suggestion?
I would use the phrase tag, which is intended for such uses: [1] [2].
The "phrase" sounds too generic, but it doesn't require yet another
processing instruction e.g. for ∑ or a similar entity.

[1] http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CustomInlines.html
[2] https://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/4.5/phrase.html

Best regards,
Alexander