Re: Profile what the production server is doing

From: Thomas Güttler
Subject: Re: Profile what the production server is doing
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Profile what the production server is doing  (Thomas Güttler, )
 Re: Profile what the production server is doing  (Julien Rouhaud, )
  Re: Profile what the production server is doing  (Thomas Güttler, )
   Re: Profile what the production server is doing  (Julien Rouhaud, )
    Automated bottleneck detection  (Thomas Güttler, )
     Re: Automated bottleneck detection  (MichaelDBA, )
 Re: Profile what the production server is doing  (Baron Schwartz, )
  Re: Profile what the production server is doing  (Thomas Güttler, )
 Re: Profile what the production server is doing  (Flo Rance, )

Am 23.07.2018 um 13:38 schrieb Julien Rouhaud:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 1:18 PM, Thomas Güttler
> <> wrote:
>> Is there a tool which does this for PostgreSQL?
>>
>> Take a "snapshot" of what the server is doing about 10 times per second.
>> Write this to a file.
>> After N hours you can aggregate the file.
>> What does the server do most of the time?
>> Which tables/index gets used the most.
>>
>> Before optimizing a database, I would like to know what is going
>> on in the production system.
>>
>> I know that there are internal tables like pg_stat_statements.
>> But I guess doing a snapshot every N millseconds will present a
>> better picture of what is going in in real life.
>>
>> Is there already a tool which goes this way?
>
> You can look at powa (https://powa.readthedocs.io/) which aims to
> provide this kind of information.

AFAIK powa is based on pg_stat_statements not on statistical samples.
But maye I am wrong.

Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

--