cant' start psql ipv6 error - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tim Dunphy
Subject cant' start psql ipv6 error
Date
List pgsql-novice
hello,

I am attempting to restore a postgres database one I have running in a test lab. both database servers are running
version8.1. I have restored the data to the cluster directory and started with the init script. the host os is centos
5.6.

Here are the contents of my data directory:

[root@cobbler opt]# ls -l /var/lib/pgsql/data/
total 116
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres   156 Aug 10 22:11 backup_label
drwx------ 7 postgres postgres  4096 Jun 27 13:57 base
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres  4096 Aug 10 22:12 global
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres  4096 Aug 10 10:51 pg_clog
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres  3485 Jun 20 13:57 pg_hba.conf
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres  3182 Mar  2  2010 pg_hba.conf~
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres  3427 Jun 20 13:50 pg_hba.conf.bak
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres  1460 Mar  2  2010 pg_ident.conf
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres  4096 Mar 18  2010 pg_log
drwx------ 4 postgres postgres  4096 Mar  2  2010 pg_multixact
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres  4096 Aug 10 21:06 pg_subtrans
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres  4096 Mar  2  2010 pg_tblspc
drwx------ 2 postgres postgres  4096 Mar  2  2010 pg_twophase
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres     4 Mar  2  2010 PG_VERSION
drwx------ 3 postgres postgres  4096 Aug 10 18:11 pg_xlog
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 13757 Jun 20 14:06 postgresql.conf
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 13690 Mar  2  2010 postgresql.conf~
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres 13688 Jun 20 13:50 postgresql.conf.bak
-rw------- 1 postgres postgres    57 Sep  9 16:41 postmaster.opts
-rw-r--r-- 1 root     root        54 Sep  9 16:29 recovery.conf

As you can see there is a recovery.conf file here and it has the following contents:

view plaincopy to clipboardprint?
[root@cobbler opt]# cat /var/lib/pgsql/data/recovery.conf
restore_command = 'cp /var/lib/pgsql/archive/%f "%p"'

But when I try to start the service it fails:

[root@cobbler opt]# service postgresql start
Starting postgresql service:                               [FAILED]

And in the pgstartup log I see the following complaint:

view plaincopy to clipboardprint?
LOG:  could not create IPv6 socket: Address family not supported by protocol
LOG:  logger shutting down

I have commented out references to ipv6 in the pg_hba.conf file
view plaincopy to clipboardprint?
# IPv6 local connections:
#host    all         all         ::1/128               ident sameuser

lsmod shows that ipv6 is not enabled on the host

view plaincopy to clipboardprint?
[root@cobbler opt]# lsmod | grep ipv6
[root@cobbler opt]#

And in the hosts file there are no ipv6 addresses

view plaincopy to clipboardprint?
[root@cobbler opt]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1   localhost   localhost.localdomain
##10.96.234.60 cobbler.example.net cobbler
174.129.239.150 puppet.example.net puppet
10.254.81.194 lb.clientdomain.example.com
10.240.217.103 cobbler.example.net cobbler

I was hoping to get some advice on how I can get the service running.

thanks in advance!
tim