Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] How to convince people to choose PostgreSQL overMySQL?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 06/17/2017 11:24 PM, Tobias May wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after one week I thank you all for your supportive responses.
>
> I'm not happy with the current GUI situation, either.
> But it was not my intention to provoke a negative mood. :-/

It is not really a negative mood as much as it is an unresolved
situation. The situation being:

1) There is the core Postgres code. It is developed and maintained by
developers under the oversight of the core team:

https://www.postgresql.org/developer/core/

2) There is the greater Postgres community that builds and maintains an
array of projects. These projects are for the most part overseen
independently.

3) Some portion of the community projects gather a sufficiently large
following that they are seen as part of Postgres. In particular they are
seen as sort of an 'extended' core.

4) The core team and developers do not have the time, resources or
inclination to oversee this 'extended' core.

5) The dilemma then becomes how do these external projects fit into
Postgres from a management and responsibility stand point. This has not
been resolved from what I see, so you have a variety of viewpoints as to
what the situation is and how it should be dealt with.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com