Re: autovacuum and immediate shutdown issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: autovacuum and immediate shutdown issues
Date
List pgsql-general
Brad Nicholson <bnichols@ca.afilias.info> writes:
> If you issue an immediate shutdown to the database, autovacumm will not
> process tables that should be vacuumed until manually re-analyzed.

AFAICS this is an unsurprising consequence of flushing stats on a crash.
If you don't like it, avoid immediate shutdowns --- they are not
especially good practice in any case.

> 3: What is the best work around for this?  When our HA solution triggers
> a DB shutdown, we want it to be immediate.

That seems like a fundamentally stupid idea, unless you are unconcerned
with the time and cost of getting the DB running again, which seemingly
you are.

            regards, tom lane