cast numeric with scale and precision to numeric plain - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sim Zacks
Subject cast numeric with scale and precision to numeric plain
Date
Re: cast numeric with scale and precision to numeric plain
List pgsql-general
I'm using 8.2.4

Numeric with scale precision always shows the trailing zeros.

Numeric plain only shows numbers after the decimal point that are being
used.

I would like to have the data in my table with scale and precision, but
my views to be cast to numeric without any scale or precision.

However, when I cast a numeric(16,4) to a ::numeric it doesn't cast it.

In order to get the results I want, I have to cast it twice ::double
precision::numeric and then it removes the trailing zeros.

Is there any way to cast directly from numeric with scale and precision
to plain numeric?

example:

create table test(f1 numeric(16,4));

insert into test(f1)values(15),(200.004),(12.4123);
select f1 from test;
15.0000
200.0040
12.4123