Re: [CORE] back-branch multixact fixes & 9.5 alpha/beta: schedule - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [CORE] back-branch multixact fixes & 9.5 alpha/beta: schedule
Date
Re: [CORE] back-branch multixact fixes & 9.5 alpha/beta: schedule  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> It's not exactly going into a black hole, but there was some
> communication between Tom and Andres on Friday that left Andres with
> the impression that if he spent the weekend testing the new code for
> problems and things went well, we'd be able to get a release this
> week.  So he spent his weekend on that, rather than, saying, doing
> something fun, and now Tom wants to wait two weeks.  I'm not accusing
> anybody of anything, but if Andres felt like beating his head against
> a nearby wall at this point, I'd sympathize.

As I saw it, on Friday it was not clear whether we would be able to do a
release this week.  Now it's Monday, and we still have a rather long list
of issues, and apparently Andres isn't all that happy even with the fixes
that have gone in, because he still wants more time for testing.

Are we really benefiting anyone if we force out a rushed release right
now?  What are the odds that it will make things worse?

> Obviously, we need to do what is best for the project overall, not
> what is best for any individual developer's cranial integrity.  But
> the decision-making process here is not entirely clear, and it's not
> entirely obvious that we're making the right ones.

AFAICT, you've been in on every single email thread discussing schedule
over the past couple of weeks, and so has Andres.  If you think it's
unclear, it's not because somebody is hiding something from you, it's
because it *is* unclear what we ought to do.