How start using schemas for existing database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Berend Tober
Subject How start using schemas for existing database
Date
List pgsql-general
So I'm convinced that using the new support for multiple schemas in a database
is a good thing. I've got a database with scores of tables currently residing
within the public schema. I've decided which tables I want to put in
application-specific schemas and which to leave in public or maybe put in some
shared schema created for that purpose of being used by mulitple applications.

What is a good, efficient way to get the tables distributed into the schemas?
It would be too good to be true if I could simply drag and drop tables into
new schemas using pgAdminII, but think that is not possible.

Do I have to do a pg_dump, and then edit the resulting script manually to
prepend table names with the intended schema name? How about all the related
indexes and relational integrity triggers? Manually editing the script file
for a large database seems like a process doomed to introduce many
opportunities for errors. What is the best way to handle this?

Regards,
Berend Tober