Re: Reserved word: OWNER - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Reserved word: OWNER
Date
List pgsql-docs
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> On Fri, 13 May 2022 at 13:23, PG Doc comments form
>> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/sql-keywords-appendix.html
>> if I try to use OWNER as a column name in pgAdmin, it is marked blue (ie
>> a reserved word). So which is it?

> That sounds like a PgAdmin issue, and probably because of the way that
> their syntactic highlighting works.  OWNER isn't a reserved word.

Yeah.  It is a keyword, but not a reserved one, meaning it's okay to use
as an identifier.  See the explanatory text at the top of that page.

There are actually four levels of keyword reserved-ness in Postgres,
and a simple highlighted-or-not scheme is not going to capture any of
that nuance.

            regards, tom lane