Re: Function with DEFAULT arguments - Mailing list pgsql-general

From dario.ber@libero.it
Subject Re: Function with DEFAULT arguments
Date
List pgsql-general

Thanks for replies!
Would it be a very horrible workaround to pass a single string to the function
which contains the user's parameters? This string then is parsed into the
individual arguments/defaults inside the function. In this way there is no need
to have arguments in any order.

Example using plpythonu:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test_default(arg_string text) RETURNS text AS
$$
## List of pseudo-arguments the function can take
arg_1= 'arg_1'
arg_2= 'arg_2'
arg_3= 'arg_3'

## Convert the argument string to a dictionary
arg_dict= eval('{' + arg_string + '}')

## Retrieve user's parameters and assign defaults
try:
    arg_1= arg_dict[arg_1]
except:
    arg_1= 'A'
try:
    arg_2= arg_dict[arg_2]
except:
    arg_2= 'B'
try:
    arg_3= arg_dict[arg_3]
except:
    arg_3= 'C'

## Do something with the parameters
return('One: ' + arg_1 + '; Two: ' + arg_2 + '; Three: ' + arg_3)
$$
language 'plpythonu';

-- Execute with default 'pseudo-arguments' only:
SELECT test_default($$ $$);
--> One: A; Two: B; Three: C

-- With arg_2 as default:
SELECT test_default($$ arg_3:'z', arg_1:'x' $$);
--> One: x; Two: B; Three: z

All the best
Dario