Re: BUG #5465: dblink TCP connection hangs blocking translation from being terminated - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Robert Voinea
Subject Re: BUG #5465: dblink TCP connection hangs blocking translation from being terminated
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi

On Friday 14 March 2014 09:45:22 Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Voinea <rvoinea@gmail.com> writes:
> > In our setup, we make use extensively of dblink.
> > Due to the fact that some queries take some time to complete and that the
> > link is over the internet, sometime the server process (the transaction
> > that runs the dblink queries) hangs when the link goes down, keeping
> > locks on several records plus some advisory locks and thus freezing the
> > whole (most of) the database.
> >
> > What I have found is this bug, that is remarkably similar (if not
> > identical) with what we are experiencing.
> > http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/BUG-5465-dblink-TCP-connection-han
> > gs-blocking-translation-from-being-terminated-td2132419.html#a2132420
> That does not sound like a Postgres bug to me.  What you are unhappy about
> is that the kernel isn't timing out a lost TCP connection more quickly.
> The default timeout is long (>1 hour probably), but that's required by
> Internet standards.  The appropriate fix for this is to use aggressive
> keepalive parameters on the connection.  You can set libpq's keepalive
> parameters in the connection string given to dblink.
>
>             regards, tom lane

I seem to have missed those parameters... and the fact that you actually need
keep-alive on both client AND server, not only on the server.

Thank you!

--
Robert Voinea
Software Engineer

Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out of it alive.
(Elbert Hubbard)