Re: missing ML messages - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Chapman Flack
Subject Re: missing ML messages
Date
List pgsql-www
On 01/16/22 11:34, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/61C09C1D.5050702@anastigmatix.net
>>> *seeing that RFC 5322 3.6.4 permits more than one msg-id for in-reply-to,
>>> crosses fingers to see what PGLister will make of it*
>
> A first step would probably be to figure out *what* to do. The RFC
> basically appears to punt on the whole idea of what to do with
> multiple parents. I'm unsure what would be the best thing for pglister
> to do. Just pick the first entry and go with that? That would
> certainly be the easiest, but would it be correct?

I'm not sure whether the best metric is 'correct' or 'useful'.

I think that on the one occasion where I jumped through the hoops of
making my MUA produce a message with two in-reply-to IDs, it was in
the hope that might allow future readers of either archive thread
to find the message.

Regards,
-Chap