Re: [GENERAL] Multiple Indexing, performance impact - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Multiple Indexing, performance impact
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> Hmm.  Anyone like the idea of a platform-specific default established
>> by configure?  We could set it in the template file on platforms where
>> the default SHMMAX is too small to allow 1000 buffers.

> Template file seems like a good idea for platforms that can't handle the
> default.  I don't think configure should be doing such tests because the
> target could be a different kernel.

Right, I wasn't thinking of an actual run-time test in configure, just
that we could use it to let the OS-specific template file override the
normal default.

We could offer a --with switch to manually choose the default, too.