Re: how to fail over slave to master - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Pepe TD Vo
Subject Re: how to fail over slave to master
Date
List pgsql-admin
Version 12 and can you show me step by step what needs to do?  I found a document in version 10 to promote salve to master with pg_ctl and create recovery.conf.  Recovery.conf is not existed in version 12 but in version 1.

Do I need to run pg_ctl in slave server?  Create recovery.conf in master, but master is a failure right now.

Bach-Nga

No one in this world is pure and perfect.  If you avoid people for their mistakes you will be alone. So judge less, love, and forgive more.EmojiEmojiEmoji
To call him a dog hardly seems to do him justice though in as much as he had four legs, a tail, and barked, I admit he was, to all outward appearances. But to those who knew him well, he was a perfect gentleman (Hermione Gingold)

**Live simply **Love generously **Care deeply **Speak kindly.
*** Genuinely rich *** Faithful talent *** Sharing success

You need to promote standby server, you can do that pg_ctl promote command. And also you need to use pg_rewind command for setup the old master as a standby server. So you can start with investigate pg_ctl promote and pg_rewind...

I have a problem with my master's Postgresql service.  I can't start up Postgresql, something corrupted and the Postgresql service is down.  The slave is still up and running, I wonder how to turn slave to primary and fixing the master server.  Once the master server is fixed, how can I fail it back?

Please advise.