Re: from Web 2.0 Conference - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: from Web 2.0 Conference
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com (Mike Ellsworth) writes:
> Couple of links from the Web 2.0 conference which I thought folks may
> find interesting. On many levels.
>
> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/110806-web-20-bezos-cant-get.html
>
> Amazon Simple Storage Service:
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=16427261
>
> which can work in concert with Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud
> http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=201590011

Very interesting.  That offers a way of doing "virtual shared hosting"
at $0.10/h per VM, where you can build your own customized VM (based
on Linux).  I'm not sure it's an excellent way of hosting databases,
but it would definitely be a nice way to get around web hosting
providers' tendancies to only offer tightly chosen toolsets (often
that *don't* include PostgreSQL).

And it means that you can evade the need to buy your own server in
order to have a customized hosting environment.

> Marten Mickos
> The Great Structured Database in the Sky
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=3918

So "pie in the sky"...

He's not grasping in the slightest (or expressing) the general
aversion people have assortedly over:
 - Sharing MY PROPRIETARY DATA
 - The privacy problems that fall out of linking diverse sets of
   databases.

I spent yesterday at an RFID conference where those were Very
Prominent Issues.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "linuxdatabases.info")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/oses.html