Re: from Web 2.0 Conference - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Mike Ellsworth
Subject Re: from Web 2.0 Conference
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Chris Browne wrote:
nhrcommu@rochester.rr.com (Mike Ellsworth) writes:
Couple of links from the Web 2.0 conference which I thought folks may
find interesting. On many levels.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/110806-web-20-bezos-cant-get.html

Amazon Simple Storage Service:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=16427261

which can work in concert with Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud
http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=201590011
Very interesting.  That offers a way of doing "virtual shared hosting"
at $0.10/h per VM, where you can build your own customized VM (based
on Linux).  I'm not sure it's an excellent way of hosting databases,
but it would definitely be a nice way to get around web hosting
providers' tendancies to only offer tightly chosen toolsets (often
that *don't* include PostgreSQL).

And it means that you can evade the need to buy your own server in
order to have a customized hosting environment.
I established a Beta account yesterday.  We won't have time to fiddle with it until mid-December, but I'll report back before end of year.  I find it intriguing as an emergency measure against the "Slashdot" effect.
I would anticipate Amazon creating a web services category where users could purchase/lease web apps, much as Safari now does with books.
Of course, many others will follow.

Marten Mickos
The Great Structured Database in the Sky
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=3918
So "pie in the sky"...

He's not grasping in the slightest (or expressing) the general
aversion people have assortedly over:- Sharing MY PROPRIETARY DATA- The privacy problems that fall out of linking diverse sets of  databases.
I had a giggle when I read that article.  Something tells me he isn't well-versed in HIPAA.
Then again, I guess there are some people that feel comfortable sleeping on the street during Mardi Gras.

I spent yesterday at an RFID conference where those were Very
Prominent Issues.
Would be nice if one of you PG heavyweights spoke at the Web 2.0 conference.  Hopefully this suggestion won't reopen that Travel thread.