Re: The Business Case for PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: The Business Case for PostgreSQL
Date
Re: The Business Case for PostgreSQL
List pgsql-advocacy
One bit that I think I vigorously disagree with:

"In the same way, adding features you want, whether ordinary ones like
replication or exotic ones such as complex statistics, is easy."

As a mathematician (couple of Math degrees in my past ;-); I'll put
this hat on for a moment...), who works on replication, I think this
is totally backwards.

Implementing complex statistical functions tends to be, behind the
scenes, a pretty Simple Matter Of Programming.  The formulae may look
nasty, but the computations are usually not all that bad, once
understood.

In contrast, I have to call replication a "pretty exotic" feature.
And I don't think implementing replication is particularly easy,
either.  The challenges with multimaster are legion...

"From the outset, PostgreSQL was constructed to meet the goals of
active businesses which could rely on it as a core element of their
mission-critical IT infrastructure."

Nope.  At the outset, it was constructed as a research project.  When
it became an OSS project, I'm not sure those were yet the goals.

I haven't made any changes relating to these bits, but (thanks, omar!)
I have gone through and made a lot of generally minor wording changes
to make tenses and references more consistent.
--
"cbbrowne","@","linuxfinances.info"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/spreadsheets.html