Re: PostgreSQL and MYSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and MYSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
netadmin@vcsn.com ("Keith C. Perry") writes:
> Quoting "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>:
>> >Look I love postgresql, but reality is reality.  The database itself is
>> >great, the documentation is pretty good, but a lot of the other things
>> about
>> >postgresql (like the website) need a lot of work.  Postgresql gives the
>> >impression of being a second rate disorganized product if you were to just
>> >go by the website alone.
>> >
>> Isn't that true of just about any OSS project? Heck, Linux doesn't even
>> have a website ;).
>> MySQL is not an OSS project, it is an OSS product with a commercial
>> company backing it. There is a big difference.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake
>
> You're kidding me...
>
> linux.org
> linux.com   (ewwww, way to cluttered these days)
> linuxhq.org
> linuxhq.com (looks like their undergoing a facelift)

 for i in linux.com linux.org linux.info linuxhq.org linuxhq.com; do
> echo $i
> whois $i | grep -i -4 Registrant
> done | more_filtering

linux.com

Registrant:
 VA Software Corporation (OSDN)
 47071 Bayside Parkway
 Fremont, CA 94538
 US

linux.org

Registrant ID:22275688-NSI
Registrant Name:Linux Online, Inc
Registrant Organization:Linux Online, Inc
Registrant Street1:59 E. River St, #2
Registrant City:Ogdensburg
Registrant State/Province:NY
Registrant Postal Code:13669
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Email:mmclagan@INVLOGIC.COM

linux.info
Trademark Number:4346339
Sponsoring Registrar:R110-LRMS
Status:ACTIVE
Status:OK
Registrant ID:C20726-LRMS
Registrant Name:Tokio Matsumoto
Registrant Organization:Bijou Co.ltd.
Registrant Street1:17-2 harumi-cho
Registrant City:kasugai
Registrant State/Province:Aichi
Registrant Postal Code:4860837
Registrant Country:JP
Registrant Phone:+81.0568568208
Registrant FAX:+81.0568568208
Registrant Email:cupfarm@kctv.ne.jp

linuxhq.org
Last Updated On:19-Nov-2003 19:30:36 UTC
Expiration Date:16-Dec-2005 05:00:00 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:R91-LROR
Status:OK
Registrant ID:GODA-01869555
Registrant Name:Taylor Kimball
Registrant Street1:5701 Lindero Canyon Road
Registrant City:Westlake
Registrant State/Province:California
Registrant Postal Code:91364
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.8186180510
Registrant Email:taylorzanti@yahoo.com

linuxhq.com

Registrant:
Linux Headquarters, Inc (LINUXHQ-DOM)
   59 E. River St, #2
   Ogdensburg, NY 13669
   US

Not a single one of these sites belongs to anyone with any official
standing vis-a-vis Linux.

Actually, if there _is_ an "official" Linux site, it is kernel.org:

$ whois kernel.org | filtering

Domain ID:D169413-LROR
Domain Name:KERNEL.ORG
Created On:07-Mar-1997 05:00:00 UTC
Last Updated On:12-Jan-2004 05:33:05 UTC
Expiration Date:08-Mar-2009 05:00:00 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:R42-LROR
Status:OK
Registrant ID:0-698778-Gandi
Registrant Name:Transmeta Corporation
Registrant Organization:Transmeta Corporation
Registrant Street1:Attn: H. Peter Anvin
Registrant Street2:3990 Freedom Circle
Registrant City:Santa Clara
Registrant State/Province:California
Registrant Postal Code:95054
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Email:hostmaster@kernel.org

Peter Anvin, unlike all the other registrants of domains you
mentioned, is, in fact, a Linux developer.

>> MySQL is not an OSS project, it is an OSS product with a commercial
>> company backing it. There is a big difference.

I would reword that a bit...

  MySQL(tm) is not an OSS project.  It is a commercial product whose
  owners permit access to an "OSS" version of it.

Furthermore, "MySQL" is not one thing, but rather _three_ things, all
of which are tightly held by one entity:

  1.  It is a trademark.  You can't use it except with permission of 3.

  2.  That trademark is used to describe a set of products mostly having
      to do with databases.

  3.  It is the name of a company, MySQL AB, that are the owners of 1
      and 2.

Indeed, pointing back at #2, I would suggest that MOST of the
discussion has been overly loose in usage of the proprietary
trademarks.  The vendor (#3) expects people describing the product in
public to properly reference the fact that it is a registered
trademark, via use of "(tm)".
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="libertyrms.info" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>