Re: Postgress and MYSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan Bartlett
Subject Re: Postgress and MYSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
> Imagine this: more users, more installations, more (selective) development
> fingers. Not all users are rocket scientists, but the video game rule applies
> to many: if I can't get it going in X (user preference) minutes then it isn't
> worth the trouble. Should PG be limited to only those who are hard core DB
> users? If so, I don't think PG will take off as fast.

We need a Postgres vs MySQL Mailing list :)

Honestly PG is easy to get up and running on several distributions.  On
RH, service postgres start willgive you a running Postgres (it will do an
initdb if needed).  Now just create a user and get going.

PG is only hard because people _think_ it's going to be hard.  Or because
it used to be hard.  However, it hasn't been hard for a long time.

I also don't think "how fast will this take off" is necesarily a good
design requirement.

Jon