Re: Oracle vs PG - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Oracle vs PG
Date
Re: Oracle vs PG  (Ravi Krishna <srkrishna1@aol.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 10/23/18 1:47 PM, Ravi Krishna wrote:

>> Since the article was almost content-free I not would use it on either
>> side of the argument. The only thing I pulled from it was Amazon
>> changed databases and hit the learning curve. That will happen in
>> either direction.
>
> I agree but this is the key:
>
> "Savepoints are an important database tool for tracking and recovering
> individual transactions. On Prime Day, an excessive number of savepoints
> was created, and Amazon's Aurora software wasn't able to handle the
> pressure, slowing down the overall database performance, the report said."

Again, pretty much content-free. For all you know some application was
creating savepoints, needlessly:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-savepoint.html

and not cleaning up after itself.

The content is here:

"Following the Prime Day outage, Amazon engineers filled out a 25-page
report, which Amazon calls a correction of error. It's a standard
process that Amazon uses to try to understand why a major incident took
place and how to keep it from happening in the future."

Not sure if that is publicly available or not, though my hunch is no.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com