Re: Ammunition - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Ammunition
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
andrew@libertyrms.info (Andrew Sullivan) writes:
> On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 09:28:31AM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
>> Last I checked the only place that mysql is used was in the yahoo
>> finance section, and it is used exclusively to power read only content.
>> They do have plans to use it in this capacity in other areas, but for
>> their heavy read/write stuff the use oracle.
>
> According to a fellow I met from Yahoo who was discussing this, they
> use neither MySQL nor Oracle for substantial bits of their system,
> but instead a proprietarty, we-wrote-it-ourselves database system
> that has qualities just right for their use patterns.

I'll still bet that Yahoo has a few copies of MySQL kicking around
somewhere, whether because:
  a) Someone is running Bugzilla;
  b) Someone is prototyping some web apps and is using it for that;
  c) There's some "departmental" application kicking around that uses
     it.

The most frivolous customer list I think I have ever seen is for
"Above and Beyond":
   <http://www.1soft.com/customers.html>

They list numerous enormous companies as customers, which almost
certainly merely indicates that someone at each of those companies at
some point registered a copy of A&B.  (Which is one of the niftier
"task scheduling" calendar systems around.  Too bad it's just for
Windows, although I got it running quite nicely atop WINE back in the
late '90s...)

The fact that a company is a customer doesn't mean that the product is
necessarily a vital product to the company...
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/pims.html