Re: Display Pg buffer cache (WIP) - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Display Pg buffer cache (WIP)
Date
List pgsql-patches
Mark Kirkwood <markir@coretech.co.nz> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> I would rather see this as a contrib module.  There has been *zero*
>> consensus that we need this in core, nor any discussion about whether
>> it might be a security hole.

> Hmmm, I guess my motivation for thinking it might be useful in core was
> that it was similar to 'pg_locks' and 'pg_stats', i.e. exposing some
> internals in a convenient queryable manner (useful for problem solving).

One reason for making it contrib is that I don't think you've got it
entirely right yet, and there will be several iterations before it
settles down.  In a contrib module that is no problem, in core it's a
forced initdb each time.

            regards, tom lane